Thursday, August 14, 2014

2014 Dykes Medal Winner: MTB 'Dividing Line' by Chuck Bunnell

By Andi Rivarola

If I offered proof that I've been following the work of Chuck Bunnell, and in particular the many lives of MTB (Miniature Tall Bearded iris) 'Dividing Line,' would you believe it? 

'Dividing Line' at the 2006 Portland National Convention

Well, believe it or not, that is the case. I say the many lives because I have encountered it in several locations growing and blooming so happily that I stopped taking pictures of it, I must regret. I'm such a fool!

Besides having seen this gorgeous little Bunnell creation at several of the AIS National conventions the last few years, I also grow another of his MTBs, 'Missus Bee' with great success. May I remind you that it's very rare to grow any MTBs at all in the Mediterranean weather of Southern California where I live?

I first encountered 'Dividing Line' blooming profusely in rainy Portland during the 2006 National Convention. It's form caught my attention from the start, different from other MTBs and with triangulated edges; the quantity of blooms and bloom stalks also made it very attractive. And, I was intrigued by the vertical line across its falls. Who would have known?


'Dividing Line' at the 2006 Portland National Convention

So, it is with great pleasure that I say: Congratulations Mr. Chuck Bunnell for winning this year's Dykes Medal with beautiful 'Dividing Line,' a little iris that could.


Chuck Bunnell at the  Stanton Gardens of the 2012 Ontario National Convention

The entire list of Award Winners for this year can be found on our website: 2014 AIS Awards.

And, for a fantastic and more expanded list with links and images, visit The AIS Encyclopedia: 2014 Awards at the Iris Encyclopedia


No comments:

Post a Comment